With so many people in the United States out of work due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the government will be issuing stimulus checks of different amounts in an attempt to supplement the loss of income.

This is a great thing and will help many people with different costs and expenses during this trying time. However, the government also announced that those who are over the age of 18 and are claimed as a dependent by their parent/guardian on taxes are not entitled to a stimulus check. 

This is wrong for a multitude of reasons.

I know that there are many people and students who are in my situation, so I’ll lay it out here.

I’m a college student. I’m no longer employed due to the pandemic. My parents claim me as a dependent on their taxes. I have student loans, a phone bill and other payments that still need to be fulfilled. I will not receive any type of stimulus check from the government. 

As well as me not getting any money, my parents won’t receive any form of stimulus check for me either. Since I am over the age of 18, I no longer count as a child in their household regardless of whether or not they claim me as a dependent on their taxes. So, while they will get a $500 check for my younger sister (17), they will not receive any money for me. 

This is the problem. I don’t count. Thousands of other students don’t count. We are receiving no money to help supplement the loss of our employment in this trying time. 

College students deserve a stimulus check just as much as any other citizen. Everyone is suffering from this pandemic, and for the government to overlook a large chunk of the population based on a couple of rules is asinine. 

Even if the government were to give the money to our parents/guardians, that would be better than what they are doing right now. At least the loss of my income could be used to help my family overall. 

While this is upsetting news, there are several ways for college students to look into making the best of this rough situation.

One way to look into getting some money if you are an undergraduate is to consider filing for unemployment. Even if you only worked a part-time job during the semester. If your company has shut down or cut your hours, look into your state’s unemployment insurance program to hopefully receive some type of financial relief. 

Another place to look for help financially is your student loan payments. Any student that has federal loans should be able to defer payments for the next couple of months or until needed with the current financial state of the nation. Give your loan company a call or log on to your online account and see if there are details on how to do so posted there. 

These are tough times for everyone in different ways, and the lack of money is particularly concerning for many. It’s hard to look on the bright side of things when you don’t have the necessities that you usually do, and especially difficult when it feels like your government leaders are doing nothing to help. Try to stay positive and appreciate what you do have, while still fighting for what you don’t. 

The views expressed are those of the writer and do not necessarily reflect those of The Torch.

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.